Sunday, February 7, 2010

So here's how I see it...

Obviously, there are a lot worse things that a girl like I could do...

than what, you ask?

Than have pre-marital sex. Really. As a Christian and as a citizen of the world I could do a LOT worse.

Really, it's true. I could break one of the Ten Commandments. (And I will admit to having done that. I have indeed said Oh My God before in my life. Commandment #5. I have stolen before [not seriously stolen something, but like taken something of a family members... hehe... whoops.] Commandment #8) But in any case, I AM A SINNER. You are, I am, they are, EVERYONE is. Really, I don't care what your religion is, we are all sinners. So I'm warning you now, that if you don't wanna hear my reasons for not having premarital sex or anything like that, step out. (Again, if anyone is reading, which judging from the lack of comments, no one is.)

So a question I had the other day was: where in the Bible does it exactly say that you shouldn't have sex before marriage? Now, I know that if you read the "It's All About Me" post from the earlier days of this blog, you will know that I wear a purity ring on my wedding band finger. Now, I had made that decision based on what I was always told, and what I felt was right for me, but I never knew where the Bible stated that sex was a sacred thing, for marriage only. I googled... because that's what we college students do when we're curious, and found that it was 1 Corinthians 7:2. According to my KJV Holy Bible, the passage goes like this:

"Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man
have his own wife, and let every woman
have her own husband."

Verbatim. Could you be any more clear? Not to say that just because you had sex outside of marriage you are going to die and go to Hell. NO, that is not what God is trying to say. Obviously if you ask Him for forgiveness, you will be forgiven and can continue to live your life in order to please Him. He is merely saying that sex is something sacred that has been designed for marriage so that two soul mates who have entered into the sacred bond that is marriage can become one and pro-create. That's it. He is merely suggesting that you don't have sex before marriage because that's not what He created it for.

So why, pray tell, would a 16 year old me make the decision to put a ring on her finger with no intentions of breaking her promise to God to stay pure until marriage? A ring like this:




(The silver band...which says "Faith")

means something so much more to that 16 year old. (Or in this case, now 18 year old.) It means that I'm honoring God with my personal choice. Sure, if you are a Christian teen or young adult who has chosen not to remain pure until marriage, that is 100% your decision. God leaves it up to you to do the right thing. That's what I love about God. He puts his trust in us to make decisions that are right in his eyes, but still loves and forgives us when we don't.

For me, I'm waiting for the special person I'm meant to be with forever to take that ring off my finger on my wedding night. I know it will make it that much more special. I also know that it helps me respect myself and weed through those potential suitors who aren't going to respect my choice. If a man isn't going to respect my choice, then he clearly isn't worth my time, and isn't in a relationship for me and for the right reasons.

I have never had a real boyfriend. I've never been on a date. I've never been kissed. And for now that's perfectly okay with me, even though I wouldn't mind going on a date, or being kissed, or having a boyfriend. The way I look at it is that God doesn't want that for me right now. And for me, that's amazing because it gives me time to focus on my personal goals and beliefs and not rush into something too young without thinking through the consequences.

I will make a confession. It's not juicy, and I know this post is getting quite lengthy and it's getting sort of late... sort of. [Since I have class at 9 AM] I watch The Secret Life Of The American Teenager. Really when I first started watching it, it was more to compare it with my high school experience. But then I became invested in it. Why? I have no idea. It's awfully written, and more often than not I make fun of the dialogue and how "SEX" is said every 5 seconds. But something that bothered me in one episode was that Grace Bowman gave up on her belief in abstinence to keep her boyfriend with her. But it didn't work. He went along his merry way. She wasted her first time. It wasn't really that special. And she began to regret it. And another reason God doesn't want us to have sex before marriage is because it makes urges stronger. If you have sex once, it will never be just once, and sooner than you think, you've had sex multiple times with multiple different partners. I don't want that for me.

And if you need any more reason, watch a mother with her children on a bad day. Watch Teen Mom on MTV where the stress of having had children around the age of 16 with what they thought was their first love is almost too much. There is no birth control that works 100%, 100% of the time, EXCEPT abstinence.

So there are my reasons. Some of them more recent than others, but I believe they are all equally valid.

COMMENT! Let me know what YOU think about the issue of abstinence, teenage pregnancy. I am DYING for reader feedback! [If anyone is reading...]

Off to sleep, for I have an early day tomorrow!

TTFN!



No comments:

Post a Comment