Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Today...

is a time to post miscellaneous things.

I had to wake up at 5:45 this morning. I wasn't happy. This is supposed to be vacation...but I HAD to get up. My mom was called in by my old high school last night (it's a boarding school primarily although I was a day student or commuter) and was asked to "babysit" the students at the school who are currently sick in the infirmary with norovirus. Ew. So on top of having to wake up early, I am now exposed to norovirus again. But that's okay because my mom is making $15 an hour for working from 7:30PM to 7:30AM. And she's promised to send me some of that money when she gets her check. =] So I guess it's not for nothing. (I hate the way that sounds but couldn't think of another way to put it.)

And I must now add another "confession" to this blog entitled "Confessions of a College Student." I am a HUGE Boondock Saints fan. I know it's not a very Christian thing to like, due to the nature of the films, but I can't help myself. It's one of the sins I give into. I feel as though as long as I don't repeat what I see in the films, I am okay to watch them. And let me assure you that while I have quite the mouth from time to time, I am never going to kill anyone. Trust me on that one. So I have a thing for the Irish boys, Boston, and violence. (That last one not so much in real life.)




This is a promo poster from the first film, which came out in approximately
6 theaters ten years ago this Friday. They had to pay to put it
in those theaters and since then it has become
a cult phenomenon.




And this is the poster for the sequel which came out in late October of 2009. It took
ten years to produce this one because of lawsuits and the loss of rights
from director Troy Duffy. It came out on DVD and Blu-Ray
yesterday. I personally thought that the jokes
and references in this one were much
funnier and it was an instant
win for me as a fan.

So why am I bringing this up? Well let me just start by saying that I fell in love with the first film the first time I saw it last year. The original film stars Norman Reedus and Sean Patrick Flanery as Irish twin brothers who work in a meat packing plant and find themselves in an extreme bar fight on St. Patrick's Day. This accidental murder turns them into a team that voluntarily takes on the task of ridding the streets of Boston's biggest criminals and syndicate/mafia bosses and low lives. It certainly makes for an interesting film, and there is a lot more to it. But what really drew me in was the writing, and the comradery that is seen in the relationships. The writing by Troy Duffy is unparalleled. If everyone in Hollywood wrote like him, we'd have a lot more great, enjoyable movies.

Wow, that DID NOT answer the question you are probably asking. I had to throw it in there and we're lucky that I didn't get carried away. The reason I bring up my awful obsession with this film is that I am getting a chance to meet all of the people who worked and were a part of either one or both films one week from today at the Paradise Rock Club in Boston. That's right. For only $20 I am getting a chance to meet some people who actually made a great movie. I have a huge crush on Sean Patrick Flanery and Norman Reedus, so my gut is begging that they will be there in addition to everyone else (Writer/Director Troy Duffy, and others who were in the film.) I can't tell you how awesome it would be to meet/ grab a photo with them. I would be so happy. I am sure that they may not be the same as their characters and that's what I'm hoping for. I'm hoping that I get in and get to meet them and get a photo with them.

And that's my confession. I'm really looking forward to it. I was originally going to go to a Irish restaurant, to taste some food from about 75% of my homelands hehe :), but I think that this will be much better and I will be spending the same amount if not less than that on this event.

I am currently working on a post about how this blog came about and where my "handle" comes from, so that should be out there soon enough. But before I sign off of here, I'm going to post another picture of the brothers.



A still from the second film "Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day."

Hope your day was as okay as mine was! Hehe :)





No comments:

Post a Comment