Sunday, August 22, 2010

Souvenirs

Earlier this week I bought some souvenirs for my younger siblings. I had previously bought something for my sister I, (the cutest pair of light wash destroyed skinny jeans from Abercrombie kids. I paid about $10 for them!) but I didn't consider that a souvenir. So I thought, what was one thing that made me think about San Diego, and the young people here? And I thought Boobies. You heard me right. Breasts. You know why? Well here's why...

There is something I'm super passionate about. A cure for cancer. Breast cancer in particular. My grandmother passed away from it when my dad was barely 18. Therefore, I am at a greater risk to eventually fall victim. Also, a close (well, formerly close) friend of mine had a mother who fought the disease for years, and lost about 2 years ago. So Breast Cancer is a personal thing for me. That's why I support most organizations that deal with and work towards curing this terrible disease. I found here that breast cancer is number two in the list of most deaths by cancer. 40,000 women every year will die from breast cancer.

Since I've started living here (even though only temporarily) I have noticed teens walking around with these on their wrists:



These wrist bands are made by the "Keep A Breast" foundation, and are part of their new "I ♥ Boobies" Campaign. Here are some details about the campaign:

"Keep A Breast’s “I Love Boobies” Campaign is a unique national campaign that develops a new approach and positive style of communication about breast cancer. The campaign is meant to encourage young people to target their breast health. The T-shirts and bracelets act as an awareness-raising tool, allowing young people to engage and start talking about a subject that is scary and taboo and making it positive and upbeat.

KAB acknowledges and enables the fact that young people do want to be activists, to play a part of a bigger and better good. It takes a uniquely strong and well-informed person to participate in the “I Love Boobies” Campaign, someone eager and able to engage in conversation. The campaign allows young people impacted by breast cancer get a chance to express their inner feelings, make connections with others and learn coping strategies helpful to them and their loved ones."

And if you want to find out more about Keep A Breast, or the campaign, just visit their website here.

So I bought these wristbands for me and my siblings, and I will proudly wear it for the cause... because, YES I love my boobies! And I will not let them fall to breast cancer... Will you?






No comments:

Post a Comment