Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I'm Not Color Blind.

*Disclaimer: I don't mean to offend or be confrontational with this post. That being said, I don't think it should be offensive to anyone, but there's always that one person who has a problem with something. So, be aware that I am trying to be as unoffensive as possible. I'm just stating my opinion and thoughts on a possibly controversial topic. Please read this post with that in mind :).*

Being color blind. What does this mean? I've often thought about it as meaning that you look at everyone as equal regardless of their visible or audible differences. I thought it meant that people would respect you. I thought it meant good things. Looking back [also reflecting on these posts here and here] I realize now that color blind means ignorant. It means pretending. It means not appreciating our differences for what they are.

When a black person, or someone speaking Spanish, or a person with one arm walks down the street, I notice. To be honest, I think you're lying if you say you don't. And what's more, I think it's important to notice. Not so that you can treat someone differently than you would like to be treated, or less than you would like to be treated, but so we can appreciate those differences. I think that the different skin tones people have make them beautiful. (Personally as an "albino" [I'm not really albino, but rather dreadfully pale no matter what the season, so that's kind of a sarcastic joke...] I am jealous of those with ebony, mocha, olive and other skin tones darker than mine, I find them gorgeous.) I think that different languages are intriguing and beautiful. I think that people who are handicapable (I believe this is the new politically correct term, forgive me if I am wrong, I'm just trying to approach this topic as respectfully and nonconfrontationally as possible.) are inspirational and amazing because they go through so much on a daily basis.

So just for full disclosure: I am not colorblind. And I don't want to be. I want to spend every day on this Earth observing, noticing, and appreciating the things that make us different, whether that be skin tone, language, culture, capability, hair color, height, weight, and accent. I want to take it all in, because it is amazing. You're beautiful, I'm beautiful, they're beautiful. Just remember that and don't ignore the differences. Appreciate them for the amazing things they are.

2 comments: